Sunday, November 6, 2016

It is the Small Things

We often wait in life for those big dramatic moments to define who we are and how we want to be perceived. Moments like making the team, winning the big game, getting into the school of our dreams, graduating from that school, getting our first job, the first promotion, or receiving an honorary award. These moments that are substantial and meaningful are the moments that we want to remembered for and how we want to define ourselves. We work hard for these accomplishments and many times we wait patiently for their arrival. Yet, as we wait for the big moments life is happening and we often miss what is right in front of us.

We are moving so fast from one thing on our to do list to the next. We are so focused on getting things done that we don't always see what is right in front of us.  As a principal I start my day the same way. I am outside assisting with car drop off and then I come into the building to do the morning announcements. It is easy to not be fully present during these routines as I am thinking about how to respond to a recent parent email or needing to follow up with a student or teacher.

A few weeks ago I was reminded to stop and pay attention to the small things. The first thing that happened was a friendly comment made by a parent who was dropping of their child. She thanked me for being outside everyday and having a great attitude. I was caught of guard and quickly said thanks. Her comment reminded me of why I am out there everyday. To greet our students with a smile, fist bump, and encouragement.

The second moment that reminded me to slow down and to be present occurred during the morning announcements. One of  the speech paths in our Early Childhood program was promoting AAC (Augmented and Alternative Communication) awareness month. She asked if she could have one of our EC students lead the pledge using his device. I thought that would be awesome. When the day arrived for the student to lead the pledge I had a crazy morning and I almost forgot the student was going to be leading the pledge. His mom was there to take pictures and our district communications director was there to video the event. As I watched the student lead the pledge and saw the pride in his mom's face I couldn't help but get choked up. It was so awesome and it was such a great reminder that it is these everyday moments that mean everything to our students and families.


We won't be remembered for those big monumental events. We will be remembered for the small things. Those regular everyday moments. How we interact with those around us. How we encourage others to be their best. How we give opportunities for students to shine. How we challenge others to be their best. When we step out of the way and realize it is not about us. We will be remembered how we treated those around us in those everyday moments. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, which made me think about some "big" moments in my own life - and so often, they were really little moments that made a big difference. I wonder if people know or realize how much those moments impacted me (and/or if I should tell them)! Thanks for sharing such a great reminder that what we do - every day - matters!

    ReplyDelete