Saturday, January 14, 2017

That's not me...


When I was a teacher I would pride myself in building relationships with my students by eating lunch with them, playing at recess, asking questions about their interests, and attending their plays or  sporting events. I would work hard and was devoted to my students. I thought I was a good teacher. When I would see a teacher that interacted with a student in a negative way I would think that's not me. That's not the way I would treat a student.

And then I would get into a power struggle with a student about finishing their work or complying with our class guidelines. 

Being a dad of two girls is beyond awesome. I love them unconditionally. The day they both were born were two of the greatest days of my life. They make me laugh, they bring me tremendous joy, and I have truly enjoyed watching them grow into young women. In my time as a teacher and administrator I have witnessed thousands of parent-child interactions. When I would see a less than positive interaction between a child and their parent I would think that's never going to be me.  I would never treat my child that way.

And then I remember running behind as we were leaving the house for school. I was angry and frustrated with my youngest for her tardiness and not being ready to go. I felt the need to share my frustration with her as I drove her to school. It was not a positive interaction. 

I am blessed to be married for over 17 years to my best friend. She has been my number one supporter, closest confident, amazing wife, and a wonderful mother to our girls. We have been through a lot since we first got married. Starting with  moving across the country after getting married, both in graduate school while working, raising two kids, building two houses, and the both of us moving into administration. All of these things have brought us closer together. 

 Recently we witnessed two different couples  argue in public.  On the second occasion the argument took place in line at the grocery store and was about buying a box of noodles. The argument concluded with the husband storming off to go to the car and leaving his  wife behind. It was obvious that she was embarrassed and ashamed as she continued to wait in line. I thought to myself I would never do that, that's not me. I would never let an argument get to the point where I storm off.

And then I think about the times that I have argued with Jenna and how I wasn't always the best version of myself in those moments and how easily it would have been to storm off. 

Stephen Covey has this great quote - "We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behavior. Isn't that the truth! We see things in others and often think we wouldn't behave in such a way and yet we often do. 


My #Oneword 2017 is present. I really want to focus on being in the moment so that I can be the best version of myself. I want to take the time to reflect and think about my growth in becoming more present. Blogging has helped me reflect and think about my goals, work, leadership, teaching, friendships, and family. I know that I won't be perfect and that I will miss the mark more often than I would like. However, I do have the responsibility to get better. To learn from my failures. 



9 comments:

  1. Great Stephen Covey quote. I have been practicing mindfulness and can fully relate. The headspace app is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I enjoyed your post. I too remember many car rides with my children where I chose to share my frustration. Looking back, most things that frustrated me in the big picture were inconsequential. (Just like the noodle exchange.) Present is a great word...looking forward to see where it's focus takes you this year. #CompelledTribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you Tim and so inspired by your #OneWord2017. I am so glad to be getting to know you and learning from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this important reminder to think before we act, Tim. It's all too easy to react when our emotions are high or when we're feeling stressed. I could relate to all your examples :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! What a great reminder to extend grace to others (in my thoughts and my actions) when I only witness a momentary interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim, I always appreciate how transparent you are. We are humans. We are not perfect. But by being intentional, remaining present, and extending mercy to ourselves we can work towards being the best versions of ourselves. Well-done, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise, honest perspectives & insightful connection to Covey quote. Your gentle guidance applies to learners of all ages. Thanks for sharing, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your post and the connection to the Covey quote. Sometimes, when we feel stressed, the people closest to us are the ones who experience its effects. Inpirational message about the importance of being mindful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Tim!! Thanks for the gentle reminder. Love the Covey quote.

    ReplyDelete