Thursday, July 27, 2017

Long Road

My last blog was five months ago. A lot has transpired in those five months and I every time I sat down to write and reflect I couldn't bring myself to do it. My wife, Jenna, who is my best friend and the a fabulous mother to our two daughters, Aleigh and Caitlin was diagnosed with Stave IVb Ovarian Cancer. Our world was turned upside down and continues to feel like we can't get our feet under us.






There have been many challenging side effects to her treatment and surgery which has left Jenna with the inability to drive and needing to lay down because of the abdominal pain. The deliver of chemo IP (intrapertoneal) creates massive discomfort in her abdomen, causes dehydration (we have had one visit to the ER), intestinal discomfort, tinnitus and hearing issues. Through all of this she continues to be focused on the well being of both of our girls.






One of the biggest things that I love about Jenna is how she has been my number one cheerleader. Even though she is in an incredible amount of pain she shares with me that she doesn't want all of this to impact my enthusiasm for my job, leadership, students, teaching, and learning. Watching someone battle cancer is extremely hard. I often feel as if I am helpless and unable to provide any relief to Jenna's pain. She has two more treatment cycles and we are hopeful that she there will be no evidence of disease when she is finished with chemotherapy. It has been a long road and we are almost at the end.

Through this journey I have learned a number of things that I hope will help me be a better husband, father, and principal. We have also been so blessed with the support of friends and colleagues. While there has been a lot of sadness, we have also experienced moments of joy, gratitude, laughter, and grace.



I don't know what the future will hold and I guess that none of us really do. During the first few months of Jenna's battle I felt lost and it was hard for me to focus. I intentionally took a break from blogging and social media as it was hard for me to feel supportive and positive of those in my PLN. While the journey is not yet over I have started to slowly re-engage on Twitter. The #dadsasprincipals is one movement that I have connected with as being a dad and husband is the absolutely greatest. I am hopeful that Jenna will be able to beat this dreaded disease and that we will be able to grow old together. I wish that I could do something that would guarantee that and knowing that there is nothing I can do is hard. All I can control is my actions and my ability to make the most of my time when I am at school and when I am at home. As Jenna and I often discuss when facing the unknown future is we just have to take one step at a time and let God take care of the rest. It has been a long road and we know there is a lot more to go. 

5 comments:

  1. Tim, I appreciate your strength in writing this post, to open yourself to the world and share your wife's cancer battle. It's tough being the bystander on this journey and the range of emotions can often paralyze productivity. Thank you for your willingness to open that door a bit and allow us into your personal world. When my mom was diagnosed with Stage IV small-cell lung cancer, we made a decision to celebrate everything, which helped find joy in each day. Writing about the journey can also be cathartic as it helps to process everything. I'm thrilled you are part of #compelledtribe! We are here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, you know I've always been a huge fan of you. Thank you so much for trusting us and allowing us to be part of this journey. You are being the husband and father that your family needs you to be. We will lift you up and anxiously await your next praise report. With love and affection for you and your family, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, Jenna sounds like an amazing person. Thank you for your vulnerability in sharing part of your journey through this hard time. Jenna is inspiring, as are you, and you both give hope to the rest of us. Your girls are beautiful- I will continue to pray, too, for their resilience through this season.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, you are in my prayers. I just went through this experience for myself and in the midst became a care giver for my mother -- Stage IV lymphoma. We are both now cancer free as of January. However,seeing your post reminded me that cancer is an emotional journey & fullness of health such a gift. Thank you for sharing: We really relied on prayer & accupunture (in addition to chemo). Open to ?s if you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete