Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Can I change my attitude?

Over the last few months I have spent a great deal of time at the University of Chicago medical campus as Jenna was receiving her inpatient and outpatient chemotherapy. During that time I explored different places to eat as the hospital cafeteria food got old real quick. My travels usually took me past the entrance to the DCAM building which is kind of like Grand Central Station. Patients are being dropped off, picked up, the valet attendants are busy moving cars, and it feels a bit chaotic. I would always see the same security officer directing traffic and what I noticed was not the fact he was doing a nice job of directing traffic but he was doing it with joy. I saw him smiling, singing, whistling, and being kind as he directed traffic. What he was doing was noticeable and in some small way made a difference. It made me think if he could bring joy to his job of directing traffic and bring a smile to someone than what can I do?

Image result for life is 90 how you react

This quote has resonated with me for a long time. We can't always control our circumstances, but we can control our attitude. Authors and speakers Andy Andrews and Jon Gordon touch on the idea of choosing your attitude. Jon Gordon talks about taking a daily gratitude walk and listing the things you are thankful for (shelter, food, relationships, job, etc...) and Andy Andrews talks about making the switch of complaining about your circumstance or situation to being thankful for it (high electricity bill vs. being able to have a comfortable home that has air conditioning, having to clean the toilets  vs. indoor plumbing, doing laundry vs. clothes to wear). This change in perspective is a daily battle, takes practice, and time. Our world was rocked when we found out Jenna was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. It still is rocking our world. The best way I can it is it sucks, but not every second or every minute has sucked. In fact, when I think about it I have been blessed to have been able to spend more time with Aleigh and Caitlin, I have been able to witness Jenna's toughness and fighting spirit, I have been humbled by the outpouring of love and support, and I learned more about what is means to be understanding and patient.

Merriam-Webster defines joy as a state of happiness or felicity. I am not trying to be Pollyanna abut this idea that you simply should have a sense of joy or be happy all of time. However, I do think we can make a difference in our schools, with students and teachers, and in our relationships if we looked at circumstances differently and instead of seeing the negative or complaining look for the positive. On Twitter the hashtags #dadsasprincpals #momsasprincpals #Joyfulleaders #Liftup101 #CelebrateMondays  #principalsinaction are filled with examples of educators bringing a sense of joy to their schools. We have a choice on how we will be remembered and it won't be for completing all of your items on the to do list, rather it will be how you impacted the lives of others. If we are too busy complaining about our circumstances then we miss the opportunity to make a difference.


Here are two resources I have found helpful as I continue to work on changing my attitude -

The Butterfly Effect 

More Than I Can Bear


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for another beautiful post Tim! Always important to make the choice to be positive...you are a wonderful example to us all!! Best to your wife and all of you.
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, your post brought ME joy as I was reminded yet again the impact our words and attitudes have on others. Here you are, supporting your wife in her greatest time of need, a challenge many can't fathom, yet you took time out of your day to write about joy. You, and your family, are an inspiration. May each day show a sliver of joy as you embrace moments with a positive perspective. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, thank you for sharing this personal story. I like how mindful you've been during the process. And to notice the traffic officer. What an unexpected blessing. In the midst of the journey, you found joy. This post is a great reminder for us to slow down, appreciate the small blessing, and find joy in all that we day. Jenna is a blessed woman to have you by her side. Marilyn . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post. I will definitely check out those resources. Hope you are finding some joy on your birthday today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true that how we choose to look at something can change everything about our experience!
    Thank you for the reminders and for sharing your journey so openly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Tim! I am so glad that you have been able to find joy in such a rough season for your family. We all need to remember to find the joy everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of joy has been on my mind quite a bit lately. What does it look like to have joy in my work when I'm having a rough day? It's not fake happiness or pretending everything is great...it's something deeper that must be genuine. I love the ideas & resources you share here to help us exude true joy in our daily lives!

    ReplyDelete